Sunday, June 19, 2011
Chicken alla Diavola (Slightly More Printable Recipe)
2 c water
1/4 c table salt
1/4 c sugar
2 c crushed ice
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1 bay leaf
1. Combine the water, salt, and sugar in a small pot. Heat until salt and sugar have dissolved.
2. Add ice, garlic, and bay leaf. Let ice melt and brine cool before putting chicken into it.
1 t pepper
1 t red pepper flake
1 large clove garlic, pressed
1/4 c olive oil
Combine all ingredients and heat on the stove only until the garlic begins to sizzle. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
Chicken alla Diavola
1 half chicken
Lemon for garnish (optional)
1. In a large zip top bag, combine the brine and the chicken. Put the bag in a bowl and brine the chicken in the fridge for 1-3 hours.
2. Heat the grill.
3. Pull a tablespoon or two of the chunkiest bits from your oil and reserve for serving.
4. Remove the chicken from the brine and pat dry with paper towels.
5. Loosen the skin of the chicken, and place the rest of the pepper and garlic mix under the skin, working it around so that it coats the meat evenly. Paint any remaining oil over the skin and on the underside of the bird.
6. Grill over indirect heat, skin down, for 20-40 minutes, using a thermometer to check internal temperature.
7. When done, remove from grill and allow to rest for 15 minutes.
8. Slice the meat off the bone, drizzle with the reserved pepper and garlic mix and a squeeze of lemon juice.
For the complete essay with photos, click here: On Chicken alla Diavola, a Comedy of Errors
© 2011, OnBlank.com
Labels: Printable Recipe