1/2 cup quinoa
1 cup water
1 T plus 1 t salted butter
4 oz broccoli (about 4 florets)
4 button mushrooms
1/3 lemon, zested and juiced
1/3 orange, zested and juiced
1 green onion, diced
2 t olive oil
2 T toasted pine nuts
1/8 cup grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper
1. Boil 1 cup water with a good pinch of salt. Add 1 teaspoon butter and quinoa. Softly simmering on low, set your timer for 10 minutes and cover.
2. Slice the broccoli on the bias into 1/4" slices and cut into bite-sized pieces, if needed. Season with salt and pepper and place in a microwave-safe covered vessel with a tablespoon of water. Cook on high for 1-2 minutes until the pieces are crisp-tender. At this thickness, this will not take long! Set aside.
3. Slice the mushrooms, and saute in the remaining butter. Season with salt and pepper and cook until mushrooms are nicely browned.
4. Combine the lemon and orange zest and juice, green onion, olive oil, pine nuts and Parmesan cheese into a medium-sized bowl. Add a pinch of salt, a grind of pepper, and a dash of cayenne.
5. The quinoa should absorb all of the water. When it is cooked (10-15 minutes), the grains should be translucent, save for the germ around the outside edge. They will have a nice little bite to them, but should not be crunchy. Once the quinoa is cooked, scoop it into your mixing bowl and mix to combine. Taste, and adjust seasoning.
For the complete essay and photos, click here: On Lemony Quinoa Salad
© 2011, OnBlank.com