1 sheet Puff pastry
1 c Parmesan cheese, grated
Egg wash (1 egg beat with 1 T water)
1. Let the pastry thaw.
2. On a cutting board unfold your sheet.
3. Sprinkle a third of a cup of cheese down the middle of your pastry.
4. Fold the right third of the pastry back over the top, covering the mound of cheese.
5. Sprinkle a third of a cup of cheese down the middle of your new layer.
6. Fold the left third of the pastry back over the top, covering the new mound.
7. Using a pizza cutter, slice your log into 1/2 to 3/4" slices. You should get at least a dozen.
8. Carefully move each piece to a prepared baking sheet or silicone baking mat. Doing your best to keep the cheese inside, hold the top of the strip against your mat with one hand, and use your other hand to put one or two twists in the strip before lightly pressing the end to the mat. Some cheese will spill; it's fine. Best to put these where you want them to bake on the sheet the first time.
9. Continue with the rest of your strips.
10. Dab the tops of the twists with the egg wash, then sprinkle with remaining cheese and a light sprinkle of kosher salt.
11. Bake at 375 for 10-15 minutes or until pastry is golden brown.
For the complete first essay, click here: On Parmesan Twists, or the second essay with photos, click here: On Parmesan Twists, Redux (Christmas "Wine and Wrapping" Recipe)
© 2011, OnBlank.com