1-2 large garlic cloves, minced
2 T olive oil (more or less depending on the type of bread used)
salt and pepper to taste
4 cups leftover or stale bread, cut into 3/4"-1" cubes
1. Add garlic and olive oil to a large mixing bowl.
2. Add the bread cubes, salt and pepper.
3. Stir thoroughly until cubes are lightly and evenly coated with the oil mixture. If your bread is particularly hard (such as stale french bread) you can let the mixture sit for a few minutes to soften.
4. Spread out on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-35 minutes, stirring half-way through. Check at 15 minutes. Remove when bread cubes are golden brown.
5. Allow to cool completely. Place in an airtight container and keep large batches refrigerated. Small batches can be kept in the pantry during salad season.
For the complete essay and photos, click here: On Croutons
© 2011, OnBlank.com